Saturday, May 14, 2016

Flash: All is Forgiven

Alright, Flash.

All is forgiven.

Yes, I know, you've repeatedly shown your characters making terrible mistakes.  And yes, your treatment of Caitlin Snow continues to make me want to light a few bras on fire.  But none of that matters right now.  Not after this episode.  Not after The Runaway Dinosaur.

To be clear, there were other redeeming moment in this episode. 

The "accidental puberty talk" was a moment of solid gold.  I mean, honestly.  "You can talk to me about all the ways your body is changing?"  Omg.  I almost snorted seltzer water through my nose.  And the look on Iris's face was priceless.  

That lip.

I also sighed with happiness over the synergy of Cisco and Hardass, Team Science reunited once more.

 "So glad you're back, cause we're about to die."

Seriously, I've watched this clip about fifteen times now.  Each time it gets better.  These guys... they are brilliant.

I even got a little giddy over the obvious agency that Iris was showing--willing to lure the monster with her feminine wiles.  Being part of the team.  Being a vital member.  It was almost like having Caitlin back again--only without the advanced biology degrees.

"You sure about this?"
"You know what?  Two minutes ago I would have said 
'Yes, absolutely,' but now?  What the hell."

But the moment that got me--the one that truly brought me back into the fold, was Barry's meeting with his mother.  When she leaned forward, and put her hand on his cheek, and said this:

"My beautiful boy.  You have to find a way [...] What you've become, it's wonderful.  A miracle even.  But it won't make bad things stop happening to you.  Even the Flash can't outrun the tragedies the Universe is going to keep sending your way.  You have to accept that.  And then you can truly run free."



Honestly?  I would forgive most things for that moment.  It was beautiful.  And full of honesty.  And if the writers couldn't do better earlier in the season, because they spent the whole time angling for that, then I forgive them.  It's possible I cried a little.

Shut up.  I have emotions.  Deal with it.

Anyway, I thought that was heart-breakingly real, for all of the unreality that the scenario was couched in.  And then they read The Runaway Dinosaur, and my eyes teared up again.  Because I read to my children every night.  And sometimes the words on the page are too close to what is in my heart, and my voice grows thick with unshed tears.  And it was so perfect--so blindingly right--that I had no choice but to forgive them for everything that came before.


So I forgive you Flash.  You're back in my good graces.

Now don't eff it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment