Sunday, May 29, 2016

X-Men Apocalpyse Soothed My Savage Heart.

SPOILERS.

You have been warned. 


You know, after CA:CW I was feeling pretty cranky about my favorite movie genre.  The movie wanted to be divisive, but they wanted people disagreeing over who was right, not whether or not the movie itself was any good.  When I showed up to see X-Men Apocalypse I was not as giddy with excitement as I normally am for a new comic book flick.  I was a little worried that this franchise would also have succumbed to the terrible urge to make the cinematic universe more important than producing a quality movie that made sense.

I need not have worried.

You guys, I will state up front that the special effects aren't as well blended into the fight scenes.  And there is one completely gratuitous (although totally awesome) Wolverine cameo, just to set up for the next movie.

 Honestly, though, who really minds a gratuitous Wolverine Cameo?

However, barring those two things, X-men is a stellar movie, and it successfully did all the things I am mad at Captain America for not doing.  The motivations are clear and logical.  We don't have to remember something from a few films ago, to piece together a potential rational for a seemingly illogical choice.  It's right there, contained in this film.

This is the part where you sit in the theater and go "No.  No.  Nononono..."

X-men viscerally reminds us why Eric Lehnsherr mistrusts humans.  Why he might side with Apocalypse to destroy the world.

It shows us in a few quick scenes the character of Charles Xavier, and why his students would follow him into hell.

It isn't scared to take some time away from the punching, to show us the emotional motivation for each choice.  Why Mystique is finally willing to go all blue.  Why Magneto turns away from destruction in the end.  Why Storm betrays Apocalypse.

How Jean unleashes the Phoenix.


(Now, I admit to being torn about this.  I prefer the cannon created in 1986, that claims that Jean attained the powers of the Phoenix when she encountered a cosmic being and it inhabited her.  It wasn't part of her natural abilities.  But that was a pretty badass scene all in all, and I kinda loved that they had the girl who was scared of herself save the day, so... I think I'm willing to accept it.)

Story wise it was a stellar movie.  All the plot elements made sense.  Emotionally it was also compelling.  And, frankly, it's got some amaze-balls actors in the lead roles.  Michael Fassbender is one of the actors for whom I have actively gone and sought out his previous work, just so I can watch him more.  And it's not just because he's so pretty, either.  He is incredibly talented as a performer, really phenomenal.  And for all that, I actually think James McAvoy might be even better.  I adore him.  I do not have enough superlatives in my vocabulary for Jame McAvoy, and given how many words I know (as well as my access to a thesaurus) that's saying something.  Honestly, if the two of them filmed a movie that was nothing but Eric and Charles playing chess and discussing philosophy I would watch the hell out of that.

For serious.

Anyway, it was great.  Thank you Team X-Men.  I know Marvel keeps screwing you over, but you're not letting that stop you from making quality films, and I can't tell you how pleased I am.

P.S.  This Quicksilver is so much better.  Just saying.

P.P.S.  If you ship McFassy, you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment