Thursday, March 31, 2016

Flash: STAY THE FUCK OUT OF THE TIME LINE

So, I'm having a problem with Flash.  I am actually interested enough in the episodes that I don't WANT to do a play-by-play.  I suppose that's a good problem to have?  But still, it leaves me in the tragic position of writing a review instead of a moment by moment commentary, so... hold on to your hats.

 "We need some math up on the board!"
"Does it have to make sense?"
"Nah.  Just start writing symbols until it looks cool."

I'm disappointed with this week's Flash--not cause it was bad--but because I think they're starting to take on the cavalier attitude that Legends of Tomorrow has with time.  Like, the idea that making a major change to Eobard Thawn's knowledge back in season one wouldn't cause him to behave differently somehow, or that the certain proof that he learns to time travel wouldn't have Barry learning earlier, or in a different way, or that having boy genius survive and become one of team Flash's besties wouldn't have changed a whole series of events in a myriad of ways.  It's like they don't believe in the ripple effect.  One change = one change and nothing else is different.  Which is silly.  I mean, not only is it just logically silly, but it also is contrary to what they have already shown on the show.  Every other time Barry has traveled in time he's affected the time-line significantly.  So, the practical time travel ramifications bug me, but also I'm just frowning over the lack of consistency.

No, Barry!  That's a BAD BARRY!

That being said, I'm really pleased by the appearance of the time wraith.  The problem with shows like LOT is that if you have a single specific goal, and all of time to achieve it, and a slapdash attitude about just how much even tiny changes can affect the time line, then you end up with a hideously difficult plot hole.  I was kind of afraid that Flash was headed for that same issue.  If Barry can time travel whenever he wants then there's always a reset button.  The time wraith is sort of a stop gap for that.  They're dangerous, those wraiths, and that impacts Barry in a way that--apparently--the possibility of killing all of his friends with an ill-judged alteration in time does not.  I'm hoping that the reality of the wraiths keeps him out of the time line for a good long while.

 The rarely witnessed Jessica Approved Plot Device.

I'm also happy with the return of boy genius.  (No, I don't remember his name and no, I have no intention of looking it up.  Instead I plan to call him Baby Face, until such time as he has made enough return appearances that his name sticks in my mind.)  I like the fact that he's got a shot at redemption, and I like the fact that he's making it count.  Plus, he's totes adorbs, and that always makes me happy.

 All I'm saying is, Cisco could be bi...

And I'm really touched by the fact that Barry recorded Eddie for Iris.  That was just super sweet.  

But my favorite thing about this episode was sort of a minor point--for the moment, anyway.  When Jessie Quick got on that bus and left Central City, I thought she was out of the plot for a while.  I though they were doing away with her in an expedient fashion.  I thought Wells was going to respect her wishes, and not look for her, because--over and over again in shows like this--that's what we see happen.  I mean, take a look at Buffy, amiright?

But instead in this episode we see Wells ignoring all convention and doing exactly what a real parent would do.  Searching high and low for his daughter.  I mean, Barry is going to potentially erase history, and Wells is like "well, you shouldn't, but I'm too busy doing what really matters to me, so heck off." 

I love you, Harrison Wells.  I mean, you're scary AF sometimes, but I truly do adore you.

Because any monomaniacal genius can father a child
but it takes commitment to be a dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment