Monday, February 29, 2016

Supergirl: The One Where Nothing Happens

That's a lovely prayer, and a lovely ritual.  And Non turns out to be a pretty good actor.  Nice delivery, man.

 Bye, Auntie Astra.  We will miss your touching sweetness
 and your utter lack of believable evil.

Siobhan Smyth has an awesome name, but aside from that I hate her.  Lots.  I hate her dress, I hate the fact that she's a suck up, and I hate her pretentious coffee.  I don't want anyone to mistake this for affection for Kara.  It's merely a sense of justice.  No one should bust their ass for years for a brilliant--but wicked--witch and then get brushed aside for some ass-kisser who steals glasses just so she can be the one to find them.

 Look at her.  You hate her, too.  Don't deny it.

Oh my god.  I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...  High five to the writing team for bringing this up.
I'm a big believer in Justice.  And unfortunately when I look at our criminal justice system these days it seems to me that "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" just means "Rich People Walk, Poor People Suffer."  It's led me down the darker path in my soul.  I am, in my heart, a believer in Batman, not the Boy Scout.  Vigilantes and their alley-way courtrooms have come to seem like a common sense approach to a system that allows the guilty to go free, as long as they have the cash to mount a razzle-dazzle defense.  Or even just buy the judge.

Kick his ass, Bats.

Still, I know the slippery slope that engenders.  I understand that there's very little difference between my Dark Knight and the boys in the back rooms of the NSA.  Both are stepping outside the boundaries of the law in a cause they believe is right.  So it's good that, every once in a while, one of the white hat heroes reminds me not to start sewing my own spandex costume.
They are keeping Lord illegally, without trial or due process.  And that's precisely the kind of thing that enrages me when the government does it.  So... I guess I'm gonna have to give my own face a slap, pony up to my personal hypocrisy, and just this once side with the values of the Primary Colored Super Pals.
Supergirl, you have to let Max go.
I won't tell Bruce if you won't.

I am super bored by this, Supergirl.  Your random alien bounty hunter is not increasing my interest.  Please do something purposeful soon, because all this "let's forward all the emotional plots" nonsense is really starting to tear my ass.


Here, have an adorable picture of Winn.  Think of it
as me apologizing for how boring this episode is.

Theeeeere we go.   THIS storyline interests me.  The conflict between locking up someone you know for a fact tried to kill you, because you also know for a fact that the American justice system will never convict him.  THAT is a tension worth exploring.  I would really like it if they spent the entire rest of the season on this little moral conundrum.  I got about nineteen minutes left in this episode, though, so I assume Supergirl will have it all resolved in about eighteen and a half.

Kara...  I don't... I can't...
YOU ARE FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET.  AND YOU CAN DEFLECT THEM WITH YOUR BODY.  WHY WOULD YOU JUST STAND THERE AND LET YOUR SISTER AND THAT COP GET SHOT?  WHAT THE FUCK?

 A visual representation of the precise moment in
time that you completely fucked up.

AND HOW THE FUCK DID HE TAKE KARA?  IS THAT A MAGICAL BEAM OF ROOFIE LIGHT THAT MAKES HER PASS OUT INSTANTLY?  WHAT THE FUCK WRITERS?  DID YOU FORGET SHE HAS SUPER POWERS THIS EPISODE?

Kay, let's run over a wee bit of Kryptonian power lore here.
Yes, Kara gets her powers from the yellow sun, as does Clark.  But the way that works (canonically) is that their cells act as batteries that store the yellow sun radiation.  That's why their powers still work at night, or underground.  The red sun has different radiation, but that radiation shouldn't cancel out the power already stored in their cells.

 See, when Superman died and was resurrected, 
it was explained that his cells can be 
depleted of yellow sun radiation but that 
they can also recharge and store it like...  
Sigh.  
You know what?  Never mind. 

All of which is just my long winded way of saying, for like the umpteen-billionth time, that this is bullshit.

Yup.  There we go.  Resolved the only truly interesting moral conflict with three and a half minutes to spare.  Way to keep it bland, SG.



No comments:

Post a Comment