Sunday, November 15, 2015

Lost Girl: Wrapping it all up

Explosive emotional diatribes stemming from affections and hatreds we've never heard of!  Random non-sequitur-rial type plot leaps that just expect us to follow along!  And the most bizarre half-assed bio-metaphysical explanations for things EV-ARH!



(Seriously, so you were in lady form when you banged Tamzin, precisely how did you manage to knock her up again?)

I've had a love-hate relationship with Lost Girl since season one.  I adored the premise of the show.  I was really pleased with the non-hetero centric, non-monogamist centric attitude towards love and sex that were shown throughout the series.  I actually thought a number of the actors were phenomenal, and the occasional bizarre one-off episodes (the time they all body swapped? the three teen Fae?  Bo's trip down the red-brick road?) were pretty well crafted.  All in all, there was a lot there that I really liked.

But it got bogged down by so many things that made my eyebrows go all wonky and try to fly off my face in a combination of surprise and complete shock that anyone would ask us to buy this nonsense.  For one thing, for all that we'd established that Bo basically HAD to bang a substantial portion of the population on a regular basis to keep in fine fettle, the writers imposed this artificial "SHE MUST CHOOSE" situation on the whole Dyson, Lauren, Bo love triangle.  I get that triangles make for good TV, but if you're going to commit to a type of character, specifically one who is, by her very nature, unlikely to be monogamous, then why not let them all have a happy three way?  I mean, for realsies, can I get a show of hand of anyone who would have actually been DISPLEASED by that?



I see zero hands.  Know why?  Because three pretty people getting all frisky together is ALWAYS fun.

For another, it drove me mad when they'd take what seemed like a fairly critical plot point and just SKIP IT.  Or (the close cousin of skipping a critical plot point) JUST PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED.  Like, in one of the early seasons, where Dyson tells Bo he can't feed her anymore if she's going to keep doing what she's doing.  Then, next episode, she's still doing what she's doing, they haven't had any kind of conversation to clear the air, but they are TOTALLY BACK TO BANGING AGAIN!
Or like when Kenzie became a shadow thief.  A what now?  I'm sorry, did that ever get explained?  Oh, it didn't?  Well, alright, I guess we can have a mystical human profession that never really gets fully expl-- WAIT, HOW DID SHE GET TRAINED OVER THE SPACE OF WHAT MUST HAVE BEEN ABOUT TWO DAYS?  HOW IS THAT FUCKING POSSIBLE?
Or like, Bo suddenly decides she's madly in love with this random dude on a train.  I still don't get that one.  Watched every episode, thought about it a lot, still don't get it.

So, anyway, Lost Girl makes me a special type of cranky that I reserve for things that I keep HOPING will finally make that left turn they missed a while back and pull back onto the Awesomeness Highway that was originally their destination.

That is, it DID.  For four and a half seasons.

But somewhere in the bottom ninth, something amazing happened.  It's like the writers finally decided that, if this was gonna be their last seasons, they should probably stop dicking around and start making things better.

Now, don't get me wrong.  There's still some complete nonsense going on up in there.  I'm still really hung up on the need to know the precise physical mechanism by which Hades delivered his magical God-sperm unto Tamzin.  I mean, Tam-tam has been with Bo before.  I think if the Hades-in-Bo-Clothing had suddenly sprouted the appropriate biological mechanism to impregnate a Valkyrie, Tamzin would have noticed that something was not quite right in the state of Denmark.

And honestly, the writers are still doing a shit job at allowing proper time for emotional developments.

But the plot!  Oh my god!  The plot!  It... it...

IT STILL DOESN'T MAKE ANY MOTHER FUCKING SENSE!

But it makes MORE sense.  And I guess, in the end, I'm going to miss waiting for the eternal left turn that will never come.  So I'm not cranky anymore.  Instead I am saying a fond, and somewhat regretful farewell to the well-acted train wreck known as Lost Girl. 




No comments:

Post a Comment